New Design: Strawberry Fields Pincushion in American Patchwork & Quilting

Used with permission from American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. ©2023 Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved.


I've been looking forward to sharing this design since I shipped it off to American Patchwork & Quilting magazine for editing and photography last June. Now that the April 2023 issue is hitting newsstands and arriving in mailboxes, I can finally reveal my Strawberry Fields Pincushion! I was thrilled to open the magazine and see how beautifully it was styled. That sunny photo is definitely making me think of summer days and farmer's market season. 

The idea for this design originated with my lifelong fondness for strawberry motifs, which goes back to storybook illustrations from my childhood. I made the entire design with wool felt from Commonwealth Felt. The top and side panel of the two-tone green pincushion base are appliqued with strawberries, blossoms, and leaves. I added simple embroidery to bring the appliques to life. I think I improved my French knot skills in the process.

While it's always exciting to see one of my designs in print, this experience is extra special. The April issue is American Patchwork & Quilting's 30th anniversary issue! I'm honored to be included--and to help AP&Q celebrate this milestone. If you pick up a copy, you'll find a brief interview with me and each of the other featured designers. 

This is my sixth project that's been published in American Patchwork & Quilting. The first was a trio of pine balsam-filled log and leaf sachets, which appeared in the October 2015 issue. My Elf Clothesline Garland and Carrot Patch Table Topper--two of my favorite designs--were published in later issues. At the moment, I have a bunch of ideas swirling around in my head and workroom for future designs. Stay tuned . . .

Used with permission from American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. ©2023 Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved.