Double Six Tote in Crochet for Today

Floss and Fleece: Double Six Tote

Crochet for Today, a special issue from Crochet! magazine is on newsstands now, so I can finally share my Double Six Tote--one of the fun projects you'll find inside. How great is this retro color palette? The editors came up with this combination in Bernat Super Value Yarn. You can order a copy of the magazine at Annie's Catalog.

Floss and Fleece: Double Six Tote
(Photography: ©Annie's)

I know I've said it before, but this really is one of my all-time favorite designs. When I first started designing crochet projects, I often made the mistake of thinking it had to be complicated to be good. Over the years I've learned that simple is often best. I kept that in mind when the Crochet! submissions call requested projects that put a spin on traditional granny squares. What could be simpler than crocheting a pair of granny hexagons and making then into a tote? I had a lot of fun translating my idea into a bag that's pretty, practical, and sturdy. My favorite feature is the "built-in" handle that's worked into the hexagon shape.

Floss and Fleece: Double Six Tote

The secret to this quick-and-easy project: it's crocheted with two strands of worsted-weight yarn. You can stitch up a bunch of totes in no time to match any color scheme. I made two—the sample that was used in the magazine and the one below, which I used in my project proposal. I love this earthy retro palette too. The possibilities are endless. Happy stitching!

Floss and Fleece: Double Six Tote