Summer 2020 Wrap-Up

Wow, where did summer go?! Even though the pandemic has prompted the cancellation of just about everything, the past few months--which normally would have been filled with family gatherings and summertime activities--have still managed to fly by. I guess that's because I've been keeping busy with my crafty endeavors, enjoying their therapeutic value while I'm holed up in my home bubble. Although some of the magazines I regularly contribute to adjusted some of their practices--especially in the early months of the crisis--they have continued to send out submission calls and release new publications. Their efforts have been impressive, creative, and greatly appreciated!

So what exactly have I been up to? Behind the scenes, I've been working on new crochet, cross-stitch, and sewing projects for 2021 issues of Crochet World, We Crochet, Just CrossStitch, and Quilter's World magazines. I can't show them to you yet, but I'll let you know as soon as each issue is released. I'm always excited to see my designs in print after a months-long process of editing, testing, and photography. Good news--I can show you some of the designs that were published this summer in some of my favorite magazines. 

Up top, you can see my Woodland Path Afghan on the cover of August 2020 issue of Crochet World magazine. 


It's crocheted with two different yarns from Red Heart in the interlocking mosaic stitch pattern shown above. It can be a bit tricky at first, but once you learn it, it's addictive. Liz of Mommy Loves Yarn made an excellent photo tutorial for the technique on Instagram for Crochet World. Click here to check it out .


I was thrilled to have my first designs published in We Crochet, the new, absolutely gorgeous, crochet magazine from Knit Picks. This is my Funicular Cowl, worked in twisty post stitch cables with Knit Picks Swish Worsted. My Keighley Loom Blanket, stitched with Knit Picks Comfy Worsted, is also featured in the issue. Visit my Ravelry designer page for more information on both patterns.


I love how the editors at Interweave Crochet styled my Sonoma Vest for the Fall 2020 issue. The issue's two themes--"Woodland" and "Wine Country" are definitely putting me in an autumn state of mind. (Photography: Molly Stevenson/Interweave Crochet)


I have to say, this Folk Floral wall hanging from the Autumn issue of Quilter's World is one of my favorite applique designs ever. The stylized flowers and leaves were inspired by the retro prints of my 1970s childhood. The red and green palette makes the project perfect for fall and Christmas, but I think I'm going to display it all year. (Wool Felt: National Nonwovens)


I had so much fun designing the different beach towel motifs for this pillow, which appears in the August 2020 issue of Just CrossStitch magazine. I've been experimenting with different finishing techniques for my cross-stitch projects, and I think the fringed Aida and bright blue background fabric make this design extra fun. (Wool Felt: National Nonwovens)

These are just a few of my recently published designs. To see more, click on the "Published Designs" tab on the home page.