Behind the Scenes: My Flower Garden Pillow in Just CrossStitch Magazine

Floss and Fleece: Flower Garden Cross-Stitch Pillow

This Flower Garden Pillow is one of my all-time favorite cross-stitch designs, so I'm thrilled to see it on the pages of Just CrossStitch magazine's August 2019 issue (available now--click here to purchase and download the issue at Annie's Craft Store). As anyone who publishes their needlework patterns in print or online knows, the journey from design concept to publication can be a long--and sometimes challenging--process. In this post, I thought I'd take you behind the scenes and share this particular project's story.

Floss and Fleece: Flower Garden Cross-Stitch Pillow

The large floral design you see on the pillow began as a doodle in PatternMaker for Cross-Stitch, the cross-stitch software program I use. I love playing with big blocks of bright colors and arranging them into geometric patterns. Since I'm not a fan of complicated color changes, I decided to use a combination of variegated and solid-color embroidery floss to add some depth to the design. After hours of fiddling and repositioning the petals and leaves,  I was finally happy with how the arrangement looked.

Floss and Fleece: Just CrossStitch August 2019 coverLast September, when I received Just CrossStitch magazine's July/August submission call seeking floral designs, I decided it was time to send my flower pattern out into the world. In October, I learned that the design had been accepted--yay! At the editors' request, I tweaked the size of the design and got the go-ahead on the finalized version. I agreed to stitch and finish the piece myself and was given a December deadline that was just a few days before Christmas.

I knew that two months would give me plenty of time to finish the pillow, but let me tell you, this design has a LOT of stitches (12,939 to be exact). I kept a time log and calculated that I spent about 70 hours on the cross-stitching. Every evening for several weeks, I curled up on my corner of the couch and listened to TV (needleworkers rarely actually watch) while I stitched away. Since I have a compulsive need to be not just on time but early for everything I do, I was able to ship the finished pillow to the editors on the last day of November. And then I moved on to other projects while my pillow made its way through the magazine's editorial process.

Floss and Fleece: Flower Garden Cross-Stitch Pillow in Just Cross-Stitch magazine
Last week, almost seven months after I shipped the pillow to Just CrossStitch, it came back to me along with a copy of the August issue.

Even though dozens of my designs have appeared in craft magazines, each new publication is exciting. And it's always nice when the projects I've made find their way back home. I'm happy to say that after the backyard photo shoot that yielded the pictures you see in today's post, the Flower Garden Pillow has now joined the ever-growing collection of handmade pillows on the couch in my craft room. During its absence, I've been working on bunches of other cross-stitch, sewing, and crochet projects. Some of them are now navigating the publication pipeline, and I'm already looking forward to seeing each one of them in print.  

Floss and Fleece: Flower Garden Cross-Stitch Pillow