Inspiration Board: Flowers, Fibers, and Lots of Yellow


I don't mind winter--probably because I work from home and don't have to drive in the snow. I enjoy hibernating for a few months, and I find the gray skies and bare trees soothing in a strange way. But by the end of February each year, I start examining the bare patches in our yard, waiting for some bulbs to start sprouting. By March, I'm downright desperate for sunshine and warmer temperatures. While spring has been arriving slowly here in Northeastern Pennsylvania, I've been looking for colors, textures, and materials to inspire my springtime craft endeavors. Here's a small sampling of what's inspiring me right now (clockwise, from top):
:
Clouds of Daffodils
These pretty flowers are the first to bloom each year in our garden. Their cheery yellow color just makes me smile--and influences my spring palette choices, as you'll see below.

Color Me Hopeful
Have you seen this Caron x Pantone yarn? It comes in beautiful color combinations based on Pantone colors. I've had my eye on it for a while, and finally bought a bunch (on sale at Michael's, with free shipping--of course). This color combination is called "Hopeful." It makes me think of cherry blossoms and twigs, and it feels as soft as a fluffy spring peep. I can't wait to get this on my hook, as soon as I decide what to make with it.

A Charmed Life
Last year, I started dabbling with some simple patchwork projects. Although my piecing skills are basic, my fondness for fabric is in full bloom. I found these charm squares, from the Lil yand Loom Stir Crazy collection, on sale at Bluprint (formerly Craftsy). I love these flirty florals and prints. Should I make a pillow? A table cloth? An apron?  

Blushing Blossoms
I can't show you the finished design I made with this pretty palette because it's off to magazine land at the moment. Right now, I can only reveal this "before" photo. I admit, pairing bright pinks, corals, and greens with black Aida was risky, but I'm thrilled with the result. I hope to share it with you soon.

Yard and Yards of Yellow Yarn
Is anyone else old enough to remember The Electric Company? How about the show's "Yards and Yards of Yellow Yarn" song about the letter "Y"? I'm giving away my age, but I think of that song whenever I buy yellow yarn. At the moment, I have a few yellows in my stash: Caron Kindess (Mellow Yellow), Premier Cotton Fair (Lemon Drops), Lily Sugar 'n Cream (Sunshine), and Patons Astra (Maize Yellow).

Peacock Palette
I have big plans for this palette of peacock colors I pulled a few months back--I just have to find the time to execute them. If you follow me here or on Instagram, you know these materials are some of my favorites--WoolFelt from National Nonwovens and embroidery floss from Sullivans.

So there you have it--a glimpse at what's going on in my creative world this spring.  On April 29, I'll be sharing a post that's much more concrete--a tutorial about embroidering with tissue paper templates. Until then, happy stitching!