Project: Upcycled Tablecloth Sachet


I'm sure we've all "re-gifted" from time to time. You know, passing on a gift you received to someone else--and hoping the original giver doesn't find out. This lavender sachet was a birthday present for my mother a few years ago, and it's technically a "re-gift" because it's made from a tablecloth my mom cross-stitched more than 50 years ago. I became the owner of the tablecloth when I got married. Over the years, it's yellowed a bit and picked up a few stains and holes. It's been retired from tablecloth duty for awhile, but I've always wanted to find a way to use the pretty fabric. I think this sachet project is perfect--simple, but so pretty. 


You can make one like it from any embroidered linens--tablecloths, pillowcases, or napkins. Let the size of the embroidered motif determine the size of the sachet (this one is 5 1/2" by 6 1/2"). Cut a piece of cotton fabric to the same dimensions for a backing. I ironed a piece of fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the embroidered piece and the backing piece. The interfacing really stabilizes that fabrics and helps them hold their shape. 


I sewed pieces of narrow red rickrack around the flower design to create a frame, but you can use any trims that match your embroidery. 


To assemble the pillow, pin the front and back pieces together--right sides facing--and sew them together, leaving an opening for turning. 


After turning the sachet right side out, fill it with dried lavender or another fragrant filler. Sew the opening closed with matching thread.


The brooch that I pinned to the sachet I made belonged to my grandmother. I think it gives the design a personal touch and just the right amount of sparkle. 

(This post was originally published on my previous blog KBB Crafts & Stitches.)