Field Trip: NYC Inspiration

My family did Mother's Day a little differently this year. Instead of brunching at home, my husband and I spent the weekend in New York with our daughters--one a Brooklynite, the other a Philadelphian who took the train north for our gathering. The main attraction of our visit was the "David Bowie Is" exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum. We also had lots of time for meeting up with family and friends, and checking out some local eateries. While we were walking (and walking and walking), I was also able to soak up some design inspiration.

Top left: That's me, my husband, and daughters waiting in line for the David Bowie exhibit. We're all lifelong fans, so this pilgrimage was a special event.

Top right: One of our favorite Bushwick restaurants--Mominette. Although we didn't make it there on this visit, I got a shot of the lovely lace curtains that hang in the front window. Maybe they'll inspire a future crochet project.

Center left: My daughter took this picture of the larger-than-life Bowie mural at the exhibit entrance. Photography wasn't allowed inside, but trust me, it was amazing. We got to see costumes, photos, videos, and all sorts of Bowie memorabilia in person. If you're a fan, you should make plans to visit soon--the exhibit only runs through July 15.

Center right: Love this mural--especially since I just finished crocheting a fun project with flamingo-colored yarn.

Bottom left: I'm always looking for new color combinations, and inspiration is everywhere in Bushwick's murals. Aqua, yellow, and pink, anyone?

Bottom right: This rusty wrought iron fence combines some of my favorite design elements--an organic motif, symmetry, and interesting texture.

Now that our whirlwind weekend is over, it's time for me to get to work with all of my new ideas. But first, I want to thank my family for a most memorable Mother's Day! I hope everyone else enjoyed their weekend too.