Finds: Vintage Needlework Magazines / Wedding Memories

1988 McCall's Needlework and Crafts magazine covers
A few weeks ago, I was thrilled to track down some 1988 issues of McCall's Needlework & Crafts magazine at the Etsy Shop Thimbledoodles Attic. Why? Well, I actually worked at the magazine for a few years after college as an assistant copyeditor. In 1987, when we were working on the 1988 bridal issue, I was planning my own wedding and decided to make the knitted dress that was being featured. Since my husband and I celebrated our 30th anniversary yesterday, I thought it would be a good time to share my wedding dress memories.

Knit wedding dress from McCall's Needlework & Crafts Magazine 1988

The picture above shows the dress at it appeared in the February 1988 issue of McCall's Needlework & Crafts. The designer is Deborah Newton--you can find her current designs on Ravelry. The pattern called for silk thread, faux pearl accents, and size 1 and 2 knitting needles. It was an ambitious project, especially since I wasn't a very skilled knitter at the time, but it was worth every teeny-tiny stitch. 

Knit wedding dress from McCall's Needlework & Crafts Magazine 1989

Here's a picture of 25-year-old me in my finished dress. The editors at McCall's Needlework were kind enough to feature some of my wedding photos in the February 1989 issue. (I can't take credit for the sewing; a seamstress pulled the knitted bodice and the fabric skirt together beautifully.) Although any leftover yarn and fabric I had are long gone, I still have the bamboo needles I used and a few of the satin-covered buttons that fastened the dress in the back. Most importantly, I have wonderful memories of my unique wedding dress and a marriage that has lasted 30 years--and counting.