Finds: Clover Pompom Maker

Clover Pompom Maker
Who doesn't love pompoms? They're soft, fluffy, and cheery. Pompoms are also a great project for using up yarn scraps from your stash. I know that there's a method for making pompoms that uses disks cut from cardboard, but I prefer this plastic model from Clover. (It's one of the products you'll find listed on my "Favorite Finds" page.) In fact, I love it so much, I bought it in four sizes so I can create pompoms that range in size from 1 3/8" to 3 3/8".

The manufacturer provides instructions on the pompom maker package, but I thought I'd make my own how-to with step-by-step photos:
Clover Pompom Maker Tutorial
  • Open up the "wings" on both sides of the pompom maker.
  • Wrap yarn around both pairs of "wings," making several layers so your pompom will nice and fluffy.
  • When both "wings" are covered with yarn, close them . . .
  • and then use sharp scissors to cut the yarn on both sides, sliding the scissors through the groove.
  • Tie a piece of yarn tightly around the center.
  • Open the pompom maker.
  • Pop the pompom off the center pin.
To finish your pompom, trim the yarn ends even and fluff it up a bit. Leave the yarn tails on if you plan to hang your pompom; trim them if you want to display them in a bowl or use them for a craft project.